Tuesday 6 December 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Childhood Favourites



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish which I am taking part in. 

This week's top ten is my top ten childhood favourites which I have taken to mean anything I read prior to turning 13 and becoming a dreaded teenager.

The Famous Five Series by Enid Blyton
My mother had a huge omnibus edition of these stories and I remember loving getting a few chapters read to me and my sister every night.

Help! I'm a Prisoner in a Toothpaste Factory by John Antrobus
I loved this amusing book when I was a child, the title itself was just plain superb.

Anything by Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl seemed to be everywhere when I was at Primary School as all my friends seemed to read them. I don't think there was a single one I didn't enjoy although my favourite has to be George's Marvellous Medicine.

The Nome Trilogy by Terry Pratchett
My first ever experience of Terry Pratchett and I remember laughing like never before when I read them. After reading these I became obsessed with his Discworld novels.

Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
I was made to read this one at Primary School but I still loved it. When I read this it was probably the only time in my life that I actually thought spiders were nice.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
This is a beautiful book full of vivid colours that I am sure many children have experienced. My daughter actually has her very own copy although she has pulled out half the pop up bits....

Winnie the Pooh by A.A Milne
Another book that I suspect many children will have read and loved over the years. I have even asked Santa Clausto bring my daughter a copy this year. I actually think my parents may still even have my own copy sitting in their house somewhere.

The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy
These books were the talk of the other children at Primary School and once I managed to get a hold of a copy I understood why. They had the ability to really make me laugh.

The Lifeguard by Richie Tankersley Cusick
My first taste of Point Horror novels and it was a reasonable experience that persuaded me to continue robbing them out of my sister's bedroom.

Monster by Christopher Pike
I have mentioned this book in many other top tens as this was the book that really got me hooked on reading. I thank you Christopher Pike for ensuring that just before I became a dreaded teenager this book was there for me.

So what was everyone else’s top ten books as a child?

6 comments:

  1. Yes! Point Horror books were so good. I remember the Lifeguard as well and also The Snowman.

    OH OH and Roald Dahl, he was so great!

    And okay ,that Toothpaste Factory title is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can anyone pass up a book with such a great title as Help! I'm a Prisoner in a Toothpaste Factory!!!

    James and the Giant Peach was one of my Favs as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I loved Dahl, Charlotte's Web and The Very Hungry Caterpillar!

    I loved Truckers - I completely forgot that book when I was compiling my list. I read Diggers too but what's the third one? I never found it. Oh I'd love to re-read those!


    Here's my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear from some of you all!

    Shannon, the third book was Wings. I actually read that one first by mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved anything by Roald Dahl, Stig of the Dump was one of my favourites too, The Magic Faraway Tree, Mister Meddle's Muddles, The Machine Gunners, and I prefered The Secret Seven to The Famous Five.

    ReplyDelete