Tuesday 17 May 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Minor Characters



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish which I am taking part in. 

There are plenty definitions out there of what a minor character is, but I have decided to just assume that if it isn't one of the few "major" protagonists or antagonists in a novel then they are fair game for this listing. Anyway, please read over my list below and post any comments, either agreeing or disagreeing with my choices.

Neville Longbottom - Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
I just can't help myself when it comes to listing Harry Potter characters; I guess they have just left quite a deep mark in my memory. Anyway, I just love the way we see Neville grow throughout the collection of novels.

Ozzie Issacs - Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton
This man always came across as a bit of a hippie, however he is a scientific genius who helped create the Human Inter-stellar Commonwealth. Throughout the books he always seemed to keep his sense of humour and strived to do anything he could to improve the lives of people.


Albert - Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett
Death's longstanding butler who always seems to make sure his "boss" stays on the right track. I always enjoyed some of his rather sarcastic comments to Death.

Marvin - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series by Douglas Adams
I think Marvin is involved in some of the funniest parts of this series and was probably be my favourite character.

The Librarian - Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett
Another Terry Pratchett character and one that seems to pop up in some amusing ways in nearly every novel. The Librarian was turned into an Orang-utan during a magical accident and now tends to eat bananas and say "ook" a lot whilst trying to stop people actually reading the books.

Seth - Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
I didn't really like many of the characters that much in the Twilight Saga but Seth was that one diamond in the rough. He seemed to have a good soul and his determination to help the Cullens was nice to see.

S'Brydion Family - Wars of Light & Shadows Series by Janny Wurtz
I love the differences between the brothers in this family; they all complemented each other so well and added some gentle humour to the story.

Dog - Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
I think Terry Pratchett is one of the best in creating minor characters and that is why I have another one of his creations here. I read Good Omens recently and just found Dog superb, he starts out as a vicious Hellhound and then upon arriving on Earth he slowly changes into a loveable friendly terrier no matter how hard he tries to resist.

Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler - Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett
Apologies for my lack of variation and originality but I have another Discworld character here. Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler introduces us the world of commerce in Discworld and his antics always bring a smile to my face.

Otho - Deverry Cycle by Katherine Kerr
This grumpy, miserable dwarf popped up at various times throughout the series and whilst he tried to hide it, his heart was always in the right place.

11 comments:

  1. I really liked Seth too and Dog was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Neville is great! I love the Librarian (ook!) :D Albert is great too, but only because my favourite Discworld character is Death! But Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler kind of irritates me, but you're right Pratchett's a genius with characters!
    Not to mention, Dog - he made it to my list too! I love how he loves being a terrier rather than a hellhound!
    Awesome list :)

    Here's mine: http://peskypiksipesternomi.blogspot.com/2011/05/top-ten-tuesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dog is great. Good choice.

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/05/top-ten-tuesday_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun list...I'm especially happy to see Marvin the paranoid android and Dog on here. Poor Dog just cracks me up every time. Hmmm, it might be time to re-read Good Omens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really great and varied list, I agree with you on so many. Neville was on my list as well, but I picked Agrajag from Hitchhiker's Guide over Marvin, mostly because Marvin is my absolute fave character and extremely un-minor in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. What an altogether unique and refreshing post. Secondary characters finally get their due. Marvin and Neville especially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This list is insanely good. I don't know why I gravitated towards the DEATH of Rats rather than Albert on my list, but such is life.

    I love that you included Marvin, Dog, and CMOT Dibbler as well. Really great choices all around.

    And don't worry, I had three Discworld characters on my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost considered Neville for my list, but went with Sir Cadogan instead. I also had Marvin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice list. I've seen Neville and Seth on a few others too. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  10. My whole list was Discworld characters because Sir Terry is so good with the little guys. I forgot about Albert though, he's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neville made my list too! I also agree with Seth. I loved how accepting he was and that he followed Jacob without any questions.

    ReplyDelete