Tuesday 22 February 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Book to Movie Adaptations


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish and i have decided to join in. This is mainly because I know that lists are usually a sure fire way to get some of my more opinionated readers posting!

Anyway, this week's Top Ten is Top Ten Movie Adaptations.

Now, I was trying to decide if should class this as being top ten in how well they stuck to the book or just top ten in pure entertainment factor or in some other factor.

So in the end I decided that it would be the Top 10 Book to Movie Adaptations that I enjoyed both the book and the movie.

1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - J.R Tolkien
I don't think I really need to explain this one, but the quality, dedication and work that went into these three films is superb.


2. The Stand - Stephen King
This is actually a Mini Series so I am cheating a little bit but I loved both the Book and Mini Series hugely so wanted to mention it.

3. The Harry Potter dynasty - J.K. Rowling
These films are just good light natured fun, much like the books.

4. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
The book is amazing and the movie really brought Dinosaurs back into cinematic glory. I think the only other films that excited more when I saw the trailers were the Lord of the Rings movies.

5. Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
I actually love nearly every Sherlock Holmes movie and series created but I found the Robert Downey Jr. movie particularly superb. I felt it captured the smugness, arrogance and abilities of Sherlock Holmes well in a very enjoyable romp!

6. The Grinch - Dr. Seuss
I couldn't imagine what this film would be like When I first heard about it. However, they managed to add to the basis of the story and create a funny and enjoyable film.

7. Interview with a Vampire - Ann Rice
I was quite young when I saw this movie but it impressed me enough to go read the book after watching it.

8. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Great Acting by Tom Hanks here and I always love a good Thriller Movie, especially one based on a book I enjoyed.

9. Dracula - Bram Stoker
This is the 1992 movie with Gary Oldman which I actually found rather creepy.

10.Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
The original one with Gene Wilder as I have to admit that I wasn't to fond of the Johnny Depp version. The film was full of magic and bright colours just like the Roald Dahl books.

So which book to movie adaptions do you love? Did we agree on any of them? Let me know what you think!

-------
R34R5EVD2KER

5 comments:

  1. I thought Michael Crichton wrote Jurassic Park? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the first five. Hated Interview for some very personal reasons and haven't seen the other four films.

    And yes, Crichton wrote Jurassic Park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol@Sherlock Holmes - I really liked the Downey version, too, even if it pretty much laughed in the purists' face. All except for Rachel McAdam's character. She kinda pissed me off. But man, Robert Downey Jr. can make anything good.

    Well, except Iron Man 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *blushes*

    Yes i put down the wrong author for jurrasic park. I can only say that i need to avoid posting when half asleep!!!

    I must agree that robert downey jr. does seem to do no wrong these days. Even iron man 2 is better than some rubbish we get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shame on you for getting that wrong!!!! But "J. Park" was one of the last films I know that I was really grabbed by. Probably because it was like milestone.

    The Stand - I love. I don't think you can beat it for the type of adaptation it is.

    ReplyDelete